Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Labor Day Weekend

I can't remember the exact year, but it has been over a decade ago. On Labor Day Weekend, I had my first date with Sean P. Hergert (stage name: Sean Caracena). We spent 5 years
together before we grew apart. I have spent months writing about him privately since he died in New York City in April of this year. One of these days, I'll post a part of what I have been writing. But it's not ready yet.

He died a tragic and sad death. He was one of maybe 2 or 3 people on this earth to whom I could tell anything and get a genuine and unvarnished reply. I continue to miss him even after the nearly 6 months since he died. At first, his death was ruled as suicide. Recently, they changed the reason for his death to accidental overdose of crystal methamphetamine. I knew it was accidental. He was what we call a "drama queen." He went too quietly for suicide. :) Even as I think of him, I still get a smile on my face. I know I will see him again.

His life was so full of excitement and fun and famous people and interesting situations. Without even knowing it, you may have seen him on "Roseanne" or "Growing Pains" or some other sit-com. You will soon learn more after I finish polishing my tribute to a person who taught me more about relationships and how to preserve them than anyone I have ever known. That may sound inconsistent with the fact that our romantic relationship ended, but part of a relationship is saying what must be said, even when it hurts. We remained friends. That's what makes it so valuable. And one of the biggest parts of a successful relationship is effective communication. He taught me so very much about that. I am forever thankful.

(For those of you who didn't get the opportunity to do so earlier, the GMHC is accepting donations for a brick in Sean's memory in the Tisch Building. Donations have already exceeded the amount to have a brick in his honor, but the GMHC is worthy of any additional donations.)

(As the author, I grant permission to anyone to reproduce, in any fashion, in whole or in part, text from this post.)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sister Angela killed herself yesterday with Vodka and Diazepam. She was only 17. We don't know why, no clues or anything. My little sister is dead. I don't know why I tell you this.

9/05/2006  
Blogger PatCH said...

*hugs*

9/08/2006  
Blogger sheri said...

I read the Greeley Tribune online (I use to live there) and for some reason Sean's obituary stood out to me. With a little searching on Google, I came across your blog. I'm sorry for your loss and the loss to all those who knew him.

9/15/2006  
Blogger C.A.N.S said...

Sean was my best friend and roomate in 1993. We shared an apartmentin Hollywood that was a frequent hangout for Leo diCaprio , Tobey McGuire, Danny masterson , and all the other funky soul brothers of the day. He was totally sober then. He was freaked out when I offered him a bowl of chronic herb on our first night in our new apt. Johnny Whitworth was a really great friemd of his as well. I met Sean at acting school , Dianne Hill Harden's Young Actors Space. Last time I saw him he was at the Standard Hotel in Hollywood and looking fantastic. Not a junkie or anything like that. I loved Sean as a brother and will always honor his life and story. I could not possibly write all the great things we experienced together here in a post. If anyone wants to talk about Sean with me I am more than happy to share our story :)
I love life , so did Sean. He had a fantastic and tragically short life. I miss him and cannot say much more right now.

His life was like a novel. Beautiful.

12/14/2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home