Thursday, October 18, 2007

Seymour Mann

I hope it's not a joke. I hope it's something as simple as some crossed wires, literally, with Verizon. But I learned yesterday that when I don't use "line 1" to dial from my office phone, caller ID on the other end says, "Seymour Mann."

I learned this when I called headquarters yesterday. Usually, whoever answers on at head office will respond with something like, "hey, wassup..." because I am the only employee in the New York City office. Yesterday, I got a very formal answer on the phone. I responded, "hey, this is Michael. Is everything okay?" Then I learned the reason for the formality. Caller ID didn't report me as calling from my office.

"Are you at work?" my colleague asked.
"Yes."
"At the office?"
"Yes."
"Our office?"
"Yes."
"That's weird. Caller ID says 'Seymour Mann.'"

At first I thought it was a joke. I have since made a couple more calls to people who I know have caller ID. They confirm the story. When I call from a line other than "line 1," your phone will tell you that "Seymour Mann" is calling.

The consolation is that I like the sound of it. It's almost risque, eh?

1 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

Are you sure no one's pulling your leg? If they tell you the other line shows up as "Dick Hertz," don't fall for it! ;-)

10/18/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home