Sunday, February 08, 2009

Why Did I Do That?

I was at an event tonight. About 3/4 the way through the event, I went to buy a pack of cigarettes--even though I know not to smoke and even though cigarettes are expensive.

In fact, for a pack of Marlboros, the price was $9.95. I handed the clerk a ten-dollar bill. I got back a ten-dollar bill and a nickle. I didn't think about it at the time. But when I got back to the apartment where the event was happening, I realized the error. When I told the host what had happened, he asked me if I felt guilty and if I intended to correct the error.

Immediately, I said, "in this economy, I am going to hold on to every nickle and I am sorry for the deli's mistake, but I'm keeping this $10."

As the event came to a close, I kept thinking about how the clerk at that deli would be confused, chastised and otherwise hurt when it came time to settle things up at the end of his shift.

I went back. I explained, as best I could, what happened, and gave the ten-dollar bill back to him. He thanked me profusely and looked at me strangely.

But now my conscience is clear and my family in Kentucky would be thankful that I was "raised right." I don't claim to be a saint--I am a LONG way from it--but even if I can do a little thing right, then there is hope for me yet. :-)

2 Comments:

Blogger Marc said...

I say you did the right thing. You were raised right! :-) Had you kept it, it would have gnawed at you and caused you a lot more angst than it was worth. And it shows a lot more about your character than just honesty - you were concerned for the person who would have to answer for the money, which demonstrated compassion and grace (because he may not have deserved your good turn, but you did it anyway). Others may say differently, but I say for you, knowing you as I do, it was the right thing to do.

2/08/2009  
Blogger Jess said...

I was about to post a comment, but I see that my other half has said essentially what I was going to say. So I'll just say, good for you!

2/09/2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home