Sunday, September 21, 2008

Update: Here's a clue...

This just in: from the Nashville Tennessean, a columnist opines about Alamo's history. Turns out my memory was not so bad after all! (I think I want that hair-do that Tony has in the picture just to the right of the column!)

If someone starts a church and names it after himself, I am persuaded to believe that the theology is not foremost on the founder's mind. I am convinced that what is foremost on the founder's mind is self-promotion. (Look closely at the picture in the article.)

And while I see no reference to it in any easily-accessed articles, here is a bit of history on Tony Alamo from my own memory: he was basically "run out" of Nashville, TN, many years ago. If I remember correctly, there were financial questions about his operation. You see, at the time, he was also known for designing clothes for country music stars (think lots of rhinestones!). I seem to recall that finances between his "church" and his "clothing business" got intermingled and lots disappeared or somesuch.

Final thought...I have been handed tracts from the Tony Alamo church here in East Harlem as recently as July. Who woulda thunk it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home