Thursday, October 09, 2008

Laugh While You Can

I'm a hillbilly. I am a member of the last group of people you can make fun of. Yes, I grew up in Kentucky as as part of a dirt-poor family that worked the fields. And you can make fun of me. Odds are, however, that I can't say anything "stereotypical" about you. Let me explain...

We can't make fun of these people:

-Blacks
-Asians
-Jews
-Yankees
-Hispanics/Latinos

I have loved ones--loved ones--in each group. They can tell redneck jokes until they are blue in the face. But I can't poke fun at them. (Actually, my loved ones would laugh with me--but I'm talking about the greater world.)

This is only an observation after a business trip to Atlanta. I heard many hurtful things about me and my heritage coming from people who live "up here" and should know better. It truly hit home when I was asked to "translate" what a waiter said at a restaurant. Why do I feel guilty for others, when I was the denigrated party?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home