Sunday, May 10, 2009

What the Hell is "Twitter"?

I know it's "all the go" with the cool kids these days, but I confess that I have never twittered or tweatered or tweaked or twitted or whatever the right word is. In fact, I am not sure I even know anyone personally who uses twitter. I know that famous people use it. Oprah, Ashton, Anderson and other famous people whose names I don't recognize. I call them famous because they must be if news outlets name them as popular twitterers. Right?

I belong to Facebook. For me, that just about pushes the limits I have for narcissism.
Posted at 2:30pm by Angus. "Picked my nose. Not a significant booger found."
Posted at 2:33pm by Clive. "Scratched my ass. Still itching, though."
Posted at 2:37pm by Simon. "I like bottled water. But tap water is okay."

Do people's Facebook friends really care about this kind of crap? Maybe so. Read on.

It seems that the more mundane the post, the more responsive are the readers, as displayed by their subsequent comments on a given post. I have decided that it is easier for someone to respond to a inconsequential post on Facebook because it requires less thought. Flippant responses are easy and quick. Thoughtful responses to thoughtful posts require time and genuine effort. It's much easier to respond to a post a silly as "Picked my nose. Not a significant booger found." Something as easy as "dig deeper" is par for the course.

As for me, I haven't thought of anything worth posting in weeks. So I haven't. I am not awed enough with myself to post something for the sole reason of not having posted for a long time. I have uploaded a few pictures; this has been by request of Facebook friends who I haven't seen in real life in ages. (Even though my vanity DOES allow me to disagree with my brother's ex-fiancee when she said I look like Burt Reynolds. Ouch!)

But this is not a complaint about Facebook--just an observation about how I enjoy laughing at the minutiae of many of my friends who are also members there. I actually love Facebook and I really love catching up with people I haven't seen in ages and sincerely miss.

Regardless, this little blog allows me to push my own personal narcissism and ego to their limits. And that satisfies me enough.

Tuesday is road trip time! The Good Nurse and I are leaving Tuesday at 7pm for Kentucky. The Good Nurse will be returning to NYC after visiting God's Country for a few days. I am going to stay on for at least a couple of weeks, maybe longer. There are many family responsibilities to which I will be able to attend. And this visit also coincides with the opening of frog-hunting season. How convenient. If you happen to be in the area, let me know. We can find you a tractor and you can help get up some hay. Or you can help feed some horses. Or just do some plowing. Whatever is your favorite!

1 Comments:

Blogger Marc said...

Hell, I'm not even on Facebook, let alone Twitter. I can't even keep up with my blog once a month...how would I keep up with a minute by minute account of life? And most of what I've seen on Facebook is more self-importance than suits me.

You and The Good Nurse have a great trip. And don't worry about any tweeting while you're away.

5/11/2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home