Sunday, July 12, 2009

Paying Income Taxes Once Again

Last Wednesday, I began a new job. The headquarters for my new company is near Harrisburg, PA. So every Monday morning, I get up at 4am in order to hit the road by 5am to arrive at the office before 8am. As long as the weather is beautiful, it is a joyful drive that gives me time for reflection and observation and solitude that rejuvenates me. For now, I am renting a room just a couple of miles from the office. By Friday afternoon, I try to be out of the office by 4pm and head back to NYC. That seems to be a pretty good time to avoid the biggest traffic headaches and can put me in East Harlem by 7ish. My new employer is a privately-owned publishing company which publishes some wonderful books I am proud to sell. The scary part? My office at the company's headquarters is larger than my bedroom in NYC. Seriously. The company has a NYC-based editor with whom I spoke on Friday afternoon. We both laughed about that, and how the people in central PA can't comprehend the concept.

I don't expect to be multi-state-resident forever. But this company is one where the people are both nice and professional and highly-skilled. This is a tough situation, but these are tough times. The Good Nurse and I are willing to make this sacrifice for near-term. The next chore for me is to buy a vehicle. Something cheap and reliable. Just enough to make the 200-mile journey twice weekly. Of course, some weeks will find me home-based in NYC as I see my clients in this area and to travel to see clients across the USA. Because, let's face it, LGA and JFK have far better flight options than the Harrisburg, PA, airport.

If you ever find yourself in the greater-Harrisburg area, and want to buy me a meal, holla!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

If I find myself there, it's a deal.

Glad you're working, but I wish you didn't have to do this mega-commute! I know you guys will manage, but I do wish you could work locally. I suppose it will all work out in time!

7/12/2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home