Sunday, June 06, 2010

The Beginning of the End

It's 9:30 here in these eastern United States as I write this. In just under 2.5 hours, I will reach the ripe age of 39. And I'm not happy about it. Although it does beat the alternative...

Being stuck tonight in central Pennsylvania, many miles from loved ones is heartbreaking to me. I can think of many things I would happily sacrifice to share a hug right now with someone who has a piece of my heart. I'm sure that tomorrow when I awaken, I will feel much better, as it is promised in the Bible. But until then, I will depend on the kindness of sleep--if it will come--and the superficial escapism of reading a joyful book to take my mind away from my self-pity.

I don't believe I am interested in spending much more time in central PA. My employer's headquarters is here and I love my job, but what price happiness? I will gang warily until I get inspiration for what to do next. For now, it is up to me to bite the bullet and to march strongly forward until the next new path reveals itself. One consolation is knowing that at least I'm not in Indianapolis (no offense, Mr. Sears).

2 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

My calendar told me your birthday was coming up... Um, I mean, I had it committed to memory! Yeah, that's it. :) So I left a little note for you on Facebook, but I also see your post here and will repeat the message... Happy Birthday! Wish I could help you celebrate, but we can just postpone that. We'll have a belated celebration when we next get to see you.

I understand how you feel about the tradeoff of being gainfully employed but far from loved ones. My only counsel, particularly during this tough job market, is that I wouldn't leave a paying job until you have something else lined up. Hang in there, and you can look for things in a better location while you're working. Whether it's in the New York area (my preference, but that's just me being selfish and wanting you nearby) or nearer to your old home, you can search online while continuing your current job.

Anyhow, you'll be in my/our thoughts tomorrow. We're sending good birthday wishes your way! xoxox

6/06/2010  
Blogger LLL said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6/07/2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home