Monday, July 27, 2009

Professor Gates

After all the hoopla over Professor Gates being arrested in Cambridge a few days back, I was reminded of a story that Ron White, a famous Texas comedian, has told.

Seems that Mr. White was stopped by the police on suspicion of drunk driving. He accused them of profiling. Turns out he was right: they were stopping everyone that night who was driving on the sidewalk.

Maybe it's the same with that cop up in Cambridge. Perhaps he had made up his mind to stop everyone who he believed was breaking into a house.

As for me, if I am breaking into my own house, I would be damn pleased for a peace officer to stop me and question me and ask me for my identification. Just as the other night, I attempted to use my ATM card and it wouldn't work. I called the bank, they asked me to verify a few things, and all was well. It seemed that I had a pattern the past few days that suggested possible fraud. Sure, it was an annoyance--but much LESS of an annoyance than finding out some thief absconded with the last few dollars I have to my name. Perspectives do change, folks. They surely do.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

I understand your view, but we do have the benefit of being white guys who have had generally positive interactions with the police. However, I do remember a white friend of mine who was subjected to a "stop and frisk" in Manhattan. I don't think he was too happy about it, if you'll recall. Now imagine a lifetime of that and worse. Perhaps it's not as bad these days, but it still happens... and it happens a lot more if you're black. So now you get home and some cop is in your face in your own home.

Should the professor have reacted better? Yes, I think so. But it sounds like the cops overreacted, too. Did the professor mouth off at him? Seems so. Even so, once they knew it was his own home, they should have called it a day. If the cops come to my house, I establish that it's my house and then want to tell the cops to go f*#& themselves, too bad. It's my house. Time for them to leave. It's not a matter of condoning my behavior. Rather, it's a question of what right the police have to be on my private property. Once they know it's mine... none, unless I invite them.

9/13/2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/11/2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

1/11/2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a very smart person!

2/25/2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home