Thursday, June 22, 2006

Home Office: Day 2

Today, Thursday, June 22, was the second day visiting the home office of my employer in Atlanta, Georgia. Yesterday, everything went much as I had expected. However, I broke my self-imposed boycott of Sonic Drive In. I just couldn't help myself. I made my way into one of the stalls, ordered a Sonic cheeseburger, ate it in record time.

Then, I ordered again. I could not resist the temptation of the Chocolate-Caramel Junior Banana Split. You know, the one they advertise on Discovery Channel every few minutes. Ladies and Gentlemen: it was a letdown. Don't misunderstand, I did enjoy it. But the sensory explosion I had expected did not occur. In the 101 degree heat of Georgia, the cold ice cream was a welcome dessert. It just didn't live up to the commercial.

But back to the topic at hand, Day 2:

I am bounced from office to office--from HR to IT and on to other letters. At one point, walking through a cubicle farm, I hear a squawk. Like some sort of bird in severe pain. Well, I was half right. It was a bird. But he was not in pain. He was wanting attention. I clandestinely approached him. Yes, there in the middle of a normally calm office environment was a bird on a perch. And then the bird talked! I can't remember what he said, because I was in shock. It's like seeing a cat in a swimming pool. I am sure it's happened before, but I hadn't experienced it. I looked around me. The parrot bird's owner (friend?) came over to introduce me. She said that the parrot bird must like me. She said that he normally is not friendly to strangers, but he was eating out of my hand (literally!). Then the kicker. Someone else said that the bird probably feels kinship because I have graying hair, and he has graying feathers. Then they all laughed. At me.

What could I say? I assumed a defensive posture and said, "yes, maybe our colors are alike, but *I* use product and he couldn't even open the jar." I puffed up my chest, let the hairs on the back of my neck relax, and flew right out of there. The bird remained and spent the next few minutes talking to the workers.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm sorry for not checking in more! BIG HUGS to you both. Also, I will update your link on my blog. I have no idea why I haven't done that yet?!

Best of luck on your job!

6/22/2006  
Blogger Jess said...

The bird should use Grecian formula!

6/22/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home