Friday, June 16, 2006

Rockin' on the Esplanade

Saturday, June 17, will mark 21 days (or three weeks) that I have been a nonsmoker. Part of any successful smoking cessation program includes exercise. That's been pretty easy for me and normally takes the form of a bike ride on the East River Esplanade. Now, I don't know what the hell an "esplanade" is, but I also saw the same thing on the menu at La Cucina Uptown. Whatever. Also, when you say it out loud, it sounds like something that might be uttered by Carson Kressly. Speaking of Carson and smoking--he once bummed a cigarette from me at a concert. But no more!

Anyway, there I was, about 1:00 this afternoon, heading south from 96th Street. As I approach the Carl-something park, I notice how many people there are sunbathing on this gorgeous day. Some of them are attractive men who are shirtless. My first thought is, "don't these people have jobs?" My second thought was, "why can't this esplanade be clothing optional? That way I could see these cuties from stem to stern, as it were."

Alas, I realized that I was jobless, and that these people were probably on "summer hours," which is more common in New York City than other places. (Summer hours involves having a full day or half day off from work some Friday's or every Friday, depending on the employer.)

A little bit of sadness crept in, however, when I realized that, very likely, this is the last time, on what is a regular work day for nearly everyone, that I can just jump on my bike and hippity-hoppity down the East River trail. From now on, it will be limited to weekends, holidays, or vacation days. For next Wednesday, I hop on an aeroplane and go south--south to Atlanta, Georgia, for the next step in my career path. Yes, my new employer is based in Georgia--home of Chik-Fil-A, Waffle House, Coca-Cola and Alan Jackson. I will remain NYC-based, but I will get my share of the food I had in my formative years during visits to home office. Ahhhh. Yes, I'm feeling a bit sentimental. Sunshine does that to me sometimes. And, if you're not working as you read this, get out there and enjoy this day! It's a beaut.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home