Friday, January 12, 2007

A New Season of Nashville Star

Last night, a new season of Nashville Star launched on USA Network. For those of you who don't know, this is the country music version of American Idol. Last year's winner was Chris Young, who is HOT, HOT, HOT! The Good Nurse and I both swooned over his looks. Oh, he can sing, too. He already has an album which I bought and reviewed in this forum. Last year, the system worked. I predicted him as a winner from the first show. Can I duplicate my success with clairvoyance? Time will tell...

Before I make my predictions, I have just a couple of editorial comments about the show in general.

1. The hosts, Cowboy Troy and Jewell, do just fine. However, the writing for the show is at the level of a 6th grader. From 20 years ago. Expressions like, "give it up for..." or "for ya" are dated, patronizing and just poor cliches. I know it is the writing because I can tell they are reading from cue cards or teleprompters.

2. Anastasia Brown is a "judge" on the show. She represents the country music industry as an executive--an industry insider. After hearing her annoying judgments over the past couple of seasons, it's obvious that she must either be related to a REAL country music big shot or slept with one. Or a few. It is rare that I use profanity, but I want this to be perfectly clear: she don't know jack shit about country music. She will give contradictory advice to performers multiple times during a show. (Last season, she rhetorically asked a contestant why she would dare sing a song with a yodeling line in it, because it sure wasn't country. Hello, Anastasia: ever heard of Patsy Montana??) I can only imagine how much stronger country music would be today if there were fewer "executives" like Anastasia Brown. She barely qualifies to sweep the floors at a music company.

3. Like American Idol, the voting is not reliable. Those contestants with a wide circle of friends, or even a lengthy list of emails can influence and encourage multiple votes from many people, which affects the integrity of the contest. I don't know a solution, but then again, I'm not a television executive at USA Network.

Now, on to the predictions!

WINNER: Joshua Stevens. He has the voice, the looks and the humility. I want to see how he performs with a guitar. His vocal range is strong and I look forward to next week's performance.
TOP THREE: Angela Hacker, David St. Romaine, and Meg Allison.

BOTTOM THREE: Whitney Duncan, Zac Hacker, and Kasey Musgraves

NEXT WEEK'S ELIMINATION: Dustin Wilkes

On last night's show, the judges eliminated two candidates. The candidates they choose would have been voted off anyway, so there is no real surprise.

As a life-long country music fan, I enjoy this program. In the past couple of years, I have been forced to watch contests where people design clothes or compete in cooking or have a big race of some kind. Now, there is something I can enjoy and something I know at least a little about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home