Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Throwing Away Knives

I am not a big fan of shopping from television. I have never been a big fan of shopping at all. But under the influence of happy hours past, I have become the owner of "Focus Factor" and a set of knives from Ronco. Just as people become more attractive after a couple of drinks, so does the junk that sells on infomercials.

"Focus Factor" is no big deal. I'm not sure if I was more focused when taking the vitamins but at least they aren't harmful. I think. If the labels are correct, it is a well-rounded multivitamin at the very worst. Cheap-ass knives, however, are annoying and dangerous and represent wasted money.

As the "stainless steel" knives in the Ronco collection age and rust, I'm burdened with the task of disposing of them. Have you ever tried to throw away a knife?

If you are a conscientious person, you will take precautions to help insure that people won't get injured when you attempt to discard your old knives. I like to think I am a conscientious person. Therefore, I didn't want to just throw the knives in a garbage bag and drop them down the garbage shoot. My best guess is that at least 3 or 4 more people will touch that trash bag. And once it gets to the landfill or transfer station or wherever, there is potential exposure to animals. Why cause pain if you can avoid it?

I think I found a solution: wrap the knives in newspaper and them tape them shut with that good, strong packing tape. It seems to be working so far. Of course, I'm still reluctant to throw out more than one or two knives at a time. Thankfully, rust seems to be attacking the knives at various intervals.

The next chore is to figure out how to throw away a garbage can.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

A lot of newspaper and heavy tape should do it. Maybe duct tape right on the blades (a few times around), then paper and then more tape. I'm the same way--I'd hate for anyone to get hurt by something I put in the trash. Well, except for the one trash guy who keeps tossing the can right in the middle of the driveway so Marc can't pull in when he gets home. If I could aim it at him...

;)

4/12/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home