Sunday, March 11, 2012

Kentucky Headhunter

September, 2010. That's what blogger tells me is the last time I posted. Hard to believe it's been that long. A lot has happened since then. Soon will be 2 years....

I've been gone from the greater-NYC area for over 6 months. I miss it. And for a long time, I missed professional fulfillment. But I've found it again! The only real career I had ever had, before 2011, was in book publishing. I loved it! I was passionate about it! It was great! I'm still a reader to the point of it being compulsive. But, to pay my bills, I've found something new. I'm now a recruiter for physicians. Psychiatrists, to be specific. I work for an independent firm that contracts with hospitals and clinics all across the US.

The fulfillment comes from the pure and simple joy I get from feeling like I actually can (and do) help people! I have found in myself a particular passion for the underdog--like the late-career doc in Boston who had a license suspension several years ago because of a patient complaint. A patient who also complained about every other medical provider that patient ever encountered. A doc in New York who, more than 2 decades ago, prescribed a narcotic to a lady-friend without an evaluation, and also suffered a license suspension. But I also feel rewarded by those docs without a mark on their histories. The full-faculty member of a top US university who wants to pick up a few clinical hours per week to help him remember why he became a psychiatrist in the first place.

There's a particular reward when I can feel like I helped both a doc and a hospital. When a clinic in rural Vermont or Rhode Island calls and has a critical need for a Child/Adolescent Psychiatrist, and I have a *perfect* doc for them who needs a J1 Visa Waiver, or H1B Support, or Tuition Assistance, I feel on top of the world when I can find the right fit. I harbor no illusions that I actually help the kids and families in those areas, but I do take my share of the credit for playing matchmaker. And I thrive on it.

I haven't been doing it very long, but I'm loving it. I have a reason to be excited about getting up and going to work every morning, something I haven't experienced since, well, let's see, soon after September, 2010.


1 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

That's a great feeling to have, and many people lack that in their professional lives!

And even if you're not delivering care, you're making the delivery of care possible, so you are helping!

3/18/2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home